Sherburne Memorial Library Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes Thursday, April 10, 2018
Present: Jill Post, Diane Rosenblum, Nan Salamon, Beth Sarandrea Jane Ramos, Librarian
The board meeting was called to order at 3:34pm. A correction was made to the minutes for March 22, 2018. The Leggett (restricted) Fund should have read approximately $11,000 instead of $13,000. A MOTION was made by Jill Post and seconded by Nan Salamon to approve the corrected meeting minutes from March 22, 2018. All approved.
• The report was reviewed. We are currently at about 74% of the budget. The actual amount is about $10,000 below the budget.
• Office supplies is above budget due to the purchase of computer chairs and will be slightly higher when the cost of the circulation desk chairs is added in. The amount for Print Media and Audiobooks will be higher as bills are anticipated.
• Jane applied for a new grant for the Green Mountain Messenger. The library received a grant of $7.50/week bringing the cost to $105 per month.
• Restricted funds (Leggett) is $11668.15.
Chairman’s Report – no report Librarian’s Report
• Jane’s written report was reviewed.
• Highlights – library will be getting more adult snow shoes due to high demand, may be moving things around in the library to get a different look and giving the young adults a space away from the children’s space.
• Roof – Greg Jenne will come and fix the roof where the shingles have shifted due to ice dams when the snow is gone. Jill Post was concerned that the problem may be due to faulty shingles or how they were installed. Jane will talk with Greg regarding these issues. She will also ask about the warranty.
• HVAC Work-around – Chet will have an estimate for our next meeting but feels the work cost should be under $10,000 • Staffing Update – Dorothy Perkett’s last day was May 29th. Lynne Herbst, a retired librarian from Mt. Holly, has replaced Dorothy and will work the same hours. Lynne started on April 7th.
• Viking Invasion – Jane has spoken to Mike Coppinger, KPAA, about packages for some Vikings to stay at hotels in the area. Jane has also spoken to the Killington Resort about sponsoring a $500 prize but has had no response as yet. All the food and drink have been arranged. Four libraries will be coming. The Friends are donating $1500 for the tent and Ed Larsen, The Viking in charge, is in Europe at Viking events and promoting the Invasion in Killington
• Future Goals – o Tech Environment from Burlington is coming to the library to assess the meeting room to see what is needed to make it into a SMART ROOM. Money would be available from the Wise Fund. o Keep the library current within 5 years. Jane orders about 1100 books each year. Total books in the library collection is 20,000 o Rearrange the library to give it a new look.
A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Beth Sarandrea and seconded by Jill Post. Meeting was adjourned at 4:15pm.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 3:30pm.
Nan Salamon Secretary