Sherburne Memorial Library
Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
Present: Laura Djordjalian, Jill Post, Nan Salamon, Beth Sarandrea, Jane Ramos, Librarian
Absent: Sally Koch
The board meeting was called to order at 3:35pm.
A MOTION was made by Nan Salamon and seconded by Jill Post to approve the meeting minutes from September 11, 2018. All approved.
• The report was reviewed. We are currently on track at 18.10% of the budget. Should be slightly under 25%.
• Still using Green Mountain Messenger for interlibrary loan. They come once a week which is meeting our needs.
• Jane’s written report was reviewed.
Chairperson’s Report – no written report
• Beth attended the Grafton Fairy House Festival. She suggested that we involve KES more in our Fairy Tale Festival with maybe each class participating in making fairy tale houses.
• Meeting Room Upgrade – the 90” screen has been installed. A DVD Blue Ray Player with a side load is still needed. The computer needs to be connected to operate the system.
o Netflix and Amazon Prime has been added
o A laptop can be connected
o A new upgraded technology form is needed. Don’t want the equipment damaged. A second remoted will also be needed.
• Parent Night Report – Jane presented the After School Policy which went OK. No major issues.
• Viking Invasion – There were some issues.
o Groennfell did not provide enough food for the public during the invasion on Saturday. They only had one expensive option. Food for the Vikings was good but did run out of food for them on Saturday.
o Vendors – when there was fighting in the field, no one came to the vendors. The Viking vendors were in the field.
o German Vikings has one room for two nights. They wanted and were given two rooms. Cost an extra $600.
o Wood logs were delivered. Split wood was needed so at an extra expense it was delivered.
• Fairy Tale Festival –It will be happening. Meeting will be held on October 17th at the library. $8,000-$10,000 will need to be raised. The Vikings did not take pictures for a calendar but will work something out. The calendar will be used as a fund raiser. Vendors will be charged $50 before 12/31/18 and $75 after that date.
• Pug Rescue – Jane will look into charging Pug Rescue for using the library since they charge people to come.
• Website Issues – Boss Works is working on redoing the library website. Should cost approximately $3000. Aiming to get most of the information on the opening page.
• Budget for 2019-2020 – The Library budget will stay flat with $1000 from each line item print media and audio books transferred to marketing and a 2% COLA increase for staff. The budget will be present at the 10/15 Selectboard meeting.
• Fundraising – Sip and Spell and the .5K are being planned. Talked about having an “Untalent Show”.
• Possible New Automation System –The Mandarin system is not working at $1000 per year. The subscription is up in December. Jane is looking into three possible alternatives. One is Apollo which costs the same amount, barcodes on the books and patrons do not have to be changed. The switch can be made in 24 hours. Jane has the capability to compare three systems which will merge the website and catalogue.
• Diane Rosenblum Fund – Having an animal place in the library will only encourage the children to play in it. Other ideas will be looked into.
• Library Lighting –Jane will check with Stubbins. Beth will check with Craven.
• Library will be closed from December 24-26 for Christmas.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Nan and seconded by Laura. The meeting was adjourned at 4:36pm.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 3:30pm.